Monday, June 1, 2009

I had the most wonderful adventure today.

First off, just let me share with you that I have been using public transportation and getting rides off friends for about three weeks now. My car broke. Living in Southern California I think that many people would have about died now, if they were in my shoes. Taking the bus is really no problem and I would rather do that then ask friends for a ride.

Personally, I enjoy people watching and I enjoy being about. The bus is perfect.

Now I may tell you that today, as a form of fun, my friend and I took the bus to go hiking. It was
SO. MUCH. FUN.
We went to El Moro Canyon near Crystal Cove, along Pacific Coast Highway. It was funny, we were trying to figure out what stop to get off the bus at and we finally decided and pulled the "stop requested" string too late and ended up in Laguna Beach and had to walk back along the road. I would say it was about a 1/2 mile. It was a very long, very narrow, very much apart of the road and a super steep incline type of walk.

Basically, we hiked to get to where we wanted to hike. Still very fun. I don't think many people would have enjoyed it, but we sure did.

Once we reached the the canyon we visited the Visitor Center, picked up a map of the route we wanted to walk, and checked out the wildlife warning exhibit so that we would be prepared. The route we decided to walk was considered "Easy", a little over 3 1/2 miles and was supposed to take about 2 hours. We considered it to be "slightly moderate" and walked it in a little over an hour.

Fun fact: Before we began our hike we learned that if bitten by a rattler (apparently it is Rattle Snake Season) you keep the area bitten below the heart, you stay calm and call 911. I know I got that wrong, or skipped a step, but we didn't need to use it. Thank goodness. If we did we probably would have died. Slowly and painfully.

Any who, while on our hike we saw beautiful mothish butterfly beatle things, heard delightful chirping birds, and watched bunnies bounding about. My friend also mistook a biker for a mountain lion and (almost) freaked. She claims it was a joke. It may have been, but at the time it didn't seem like it.

Upon the finishing of our hike we encountered two boyish men. We gave them a hearty congratulations as we sat on a rock, drank water and ate our granola bars. On our walk out of the park they drove past us and returned the "good job" cheers. It was quite enjoyable.

After that, we walked a little ways down PCH (again) and wandered into Crystal Cove. There we climbed some magnificent rocks in the ocean and watched the tides come in and out. We also may have made some friends with the local crab population.

Later we got back on the bus, off in Corona Del Mar and ate lunch. It was there that an old man, probably suffering from Dementia, looked me straight in the eye and told me "When you learn what is really going on here, you will be sorry." It sounded like a threat. It may or may not be important that five minutes prior to that I had asked him if he could move his arm so that I may use the other chair he was leaning on. Ten minutes after he told my friend and I that, he came back wanting to give us his business card. Strange events. Strange man. Interesting lunch.

The rest of the day we spent on and off the bus wandering to parks, through parking lots, at cafes and wherever the road could take us, or side walk (at times). I can honestly say it was fun filled, activity driven and jammed with amazing accents spoken by our fellow public transportation comrades.

At the end of the night we watched a lovely documentary on Train Hopping. Amazing. Along with inspiring.


Hope your day was just as lovely,
Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment